William Woods University was founded by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in 1870. Many years later, we continue to recognize the importance of faith and service in giving direction and encouragement to the lives of our students. The university is not directly connected with the Disciples, but WWU maintains a covenant relationship with the church.
Thurmond Chapel is a Colonial Williamsburg-style building, constructed during the 1968-69 school year. It was a gift from Sarah Thurmond Hermann, a 1935 graduate. She and her husband, Grover, donated the funds in memory of her mother, the late Amelia Thurmond. This beautifully designed, 100-seat chapel offers an intimate setting for worship services for the university and community. Two outstanding features of Thurmond Chapel are a Schlicker pipe organ, donated by the Parents' Association, and a digital Maas Rowe Carillon, made possible by a donation from the Grover Hermann Foundation. A small prayer chapel adjoins the sanctuary. In addition to housing our faith-based services, Thurmond Chapel occasionally hosts alumni and community weddings.