Eight WWU Students Place in Top 10 at DECA International Conference
|4/18/2011||Mary Ann Beahon|
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||(573) 592-1127|
Eight William Woods University students placed in the top 10 in their respective categories, competing with more than 1,400 other college students at the DECA International Conference in Orlando, Fla., April 12-17.
The students are:
- Greg Baker, St. Peters, Mo.; Gentry Coffman, Columbia, Mo., and Brad Whitcomb, Winfield, Mo. – Advertising
- Nikki Cole, Hermann, Mo. – Sales
- Danielle Costanza, Castle Creek, N.Y., and Liz Thomas, South Amherst, Ohio – Advertising
- Melissa Smith, Fort Myers, Fla., - Entrepreneurship
- Amber Vieth, Holts Summit, Mo. - Website Design
WWU had five teams qualify for final competition, doing better than four of the five college teams from Missouri. The University of Central Missouri qualified six teams, the University of Missouri qualified four teams, Columbia College qualified two teams and Lincoln University and Southeast Missouri State University qualified one team each.
DECA is an international organization for college students preparing for a variety of careers. WWU College DECA programs engage students from a variety of educational disciplines, while maintaining a strong focus on business-related areas such as marketing, management and entrepreneurship. Activities promoted by DECA integrate with and enhance the student's college curriculum.
The WWU students qualified for the international competition by their success in the Collegiate DECA State Career Development Conference Feb. 17-18. Linda Duke, instructor of marketing and business, is the DECA sponsor at WWU.