Students must earn at least 4 points in each of the required months (September, October, November, February, March, April). Residential students will need to average between 7 and 8 points per month.
Residential students must earn at least 20 points by the end of the fall semester; Commuter students must earn 12 points by the end of the fall semester.
Residential students must earn 45 points each academic year (23 points if they start in January); Commuter students must earn 28 points each academic year (16 if they start in January).
Students are allowed one warning month per academic year in which they can earn fewer than 4 points. Students are encouraged to save this warning month in the event it is needed for illness, unexpected circumstances, family emergencies, etc.
Students may only receive eight (8) LEAD points per academic year for attendance at athletic events.
Students are responsible for checking their LEAD points on-line. Any problems with a student's LEAD record must be reported within five (5) days of the end of the month in which the problem occurs - however, it is best to report problems within 48 hours of the event.
Students may appeal the loss of their LEAD award to the LEAD Committee by submitting it in writing to the Office of Student Life. Check the LEAD calendar often… events are added all the time!
Students must get their ID/LEAD card scanned at events in order to receive LEAD credit for the event. Some events require that students sign in and/or out and students must also have their ID/LEAD card with them in order to receive LEAD credit for these events.
Students are expected to act appropriately during LEAD events--arrive on time, be appropriately dressed, pay attention during the presentation, turn off cell phones and other electronic devices, etc. Students who fail to behave appropriately will be asked to leave, will forfeit those LEAD points, and risk additional sanctions. Additional disruptive behavior will put a student's award in jeopardy.
Cell phones must be turned off and not just on silent. Text messaging is disruptive to others.
Students are expected to earn their points honestly. Dishonesty in accumulating LEAD points will result in forfeiture of those points and puts the student at risk for additional sanctions or loss of the LEAD award for all subsequent semesters.
Students may not earn LEAD credit for attending events which are required for class, a scholarship, or campus employment – students cannot receive any other form of incentive for participation.
LEAD students in good standing may sign a senior waiver for the semester during which they will graduate (December graduates may sign the waiver for the fall semester and May graduates may sign the waiver for the spring semester). By accepting the senior final semester waiver, the students acknowledge that: (1) They are in good standing and have met all the requirements of the LEAD program for all semesters prior to the waiver; (2) They will not be required to obtain LEAD points during the semester of the waiver; (3) That the semester of the waiver will be the last semester they will receive the LEAD award; and (4) They will no longer be eligible for the LEAD award at any time in the future.
LEAD Reinstatement Policy
Students who fail to meet LEAD requirements have the opportunity to reinstate their award. To do so, they must:
- Go to the Office of Student Life, indicate their intention to participate in LEAD, and sign an agreement which outlines the expectations.
- Complete the following requirements during the semester in which they intend to reinstate the award : 25 points for residential students (4 point monthly minimum; no warning month) 17 points for commuter (4 point monthly minimum; no warning month)
NOTE: students will not receive the monetary incentive during this semester but must meet all requirements.
- Students will earn their LEAD points as if they were receiving the award (e.g. getting scanned at events, tracking their points online, etc.). At the conclusion of the semester, the student must return to the Office of Student Life and request that their award be reinstated. This request must be made prior to the start of the next semester.
- Assuming they have met the requirements, students will be eligible for LEAD for all subsequent semesters in which they meet the requirements.
- Students will only be eligible for reinstatement once.
Direct any questions or concerns to 573.592.4239; or Lead@WilliamWoods.edu.